Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving weekend

So, it's been a little while since I've been on here. It got a little crazy around here with holidays coming up and trying to get our house CLEAN - not just clean - for the family to come over here for Thanksgiving. But it was all worth the weekend we've had!


The fun and funny stuff started (well, as far back as I can remember) was Wednesday. I was meeting a friend for lunch and thought we'd go a little early and go to Big Lots. I hadn't been there in a while and thought I'd go see what they had. We were looking at toys when Connor said, "Hey, Mommy. I hear something." I asked him what he heard and he said, "Music." So, I showed him where the speaker was on the ceiling. We went on looking at toys and were going to look at the Christmas tress and village houses since both kids love them. They started talking over the loud speaker. Connor stopped in his tracks, looked up at the speaker and said, "I would like some chicken and french fries. (pause) Uh huh. (pause) No, that's all. Thank you." And then continued on his merry way. The lesson for me was - we much go through the drive thru for chicken and french fries just a little too often. :-)


Thursday was spent just hanging around the house (we didn't do the whole family Thanksgiving meal until today) and fixing our own Thanksgiving meal which consisted of turkey legs boiled in sprite, sugar, Tabasco sauce, red pepper flakes and few other things then grilled with honey on them. I'm sorry to say I actually didn't get to eat one because of feeding one child and trying to get the other to eat but Danny said they were very good. In the afternoon we went out and played in the leaves. Danny made a HUGE pile of leaves (the pile wasn't even half of what was in our yard!). Connor had never played in the leaves before. He was a little unsure at first but when Danny showed him how to jump in them he was all about it. He loves jumping on, at, off anything. That evening I got to "spend" Thanksgiving with just about all of my family in Houston. My parents were down there for the holidays so my dad and I used Skype to talk at the family get together. So I (and Connor off and on) spent an hour on the computer talking to all. It was great and a lot of fun!


Friday the kids and I went out with their Aunt Mel to hit the black Friday shopping. Connor was great and had fun. So far, Savannah isn't a big fan of shopping. I think she gets bored sitting in the back seat of the stroller and can't see very well. So, next time out I may try the kids switching places and see how that works. But we had fun anyway! I got 2 Christmas presents and everything else was just for me! That was the best part! :-) We of course had to start decorating for Christmas - always the day after Thanksgiving. Connor got to decorate his own little tree. He also got to watch the first part of Polar Express and really liked it. I wasn't sure if he would or not, but I should have known he would since he loves trains. So, we had to go out and get it today so he could see the end of it.


Today all of Danny's family came over to eat lunch. It was a great time - and there was a lot of good food. Savannah napped shortly after eating but Connor had a big time with his older cousins - Nathan, Amber & Ryan. He's funny. He doesn't always realize he isn't there size and just talks to them like he is their age. At one point I heard him say, "Hey, I have an idea." I never did hear the idea but it tickles me when he talks like a grown person. One of Connor's favorite things to do with Danny is Connor runs around the couches. As he comes around the front Danny takes one of out big couch pillows, throws it at him and knocks him down. Connor grabs the pillow and takes it back to Danny and tells him to do it again. All the kids got in on the action today and Connor thought that was great! After everybody had left we hung around the house a little and then ran out to get last few things needed for decorating. That's finished now and it's time to REALLY start buying Christmas presents!!

A couple of side notes.....

Savannah is doing her best to talk, although most times it comes out just squealing. I will be sooooo glad when she can use her words. But the words she can say are: uh oh, Lighten, Momma, Dada and baby. She just added baby this past week. And Connor's new favorite phrase to say, "Oh my crap." Some people think it's funny to hear a 3 year old say that, but Mommy doesn't always - but sometimes I do!

(I've added pictures from our weekend in the November photo album.)

No comments: