Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Maryville...home, sweet, home

Well, I survived the trip, but unfortunately the VOLS didn't....we lost in OT 27, 24. Other than that, we had a great trip. We had fun with the family. We went on a bus tour of Hollywood and got to see some celebrity homes. Went down to Malibu to eat and then went to the Santa Monica pier. That was a lot of fun. Sunday Danny and I had a day just the two of us. We drove to Santa Barbara - about 2 hours away. We had a day of leisure...stopped when we wanted to, not because we had to change a diaper. On the way we got to see some dolphins about 25 yards off the beach and some people surfing. Up in Santa Barbara they had an arts and craft show where everything was handmade...very neat. The weather was nice too. It was just a lot of fun....'til we went to the game anyway. We got home Tuesday after a very long day. We were supposed to fly through Houston but had our flights changed Sunday because we were afraid of the hurricane. So, we flew to Newark, NJ instead....literally from one coast to the other...it was a 5 1/2 hour flight. We had just enough time to go grab a sandwich to eat on the plane. We rushed on the plane and then sat there for 1 1/2 hours waiting to take off. The pilot knew we were going to be a long time so he let us have our phones on which led us to learn that apparently on Aug 28th the EPA started a new regulation at JFK and Newark Airports....they now limit the number of flights taking off during an hour. I'm not sure how many can now leave during one hour. All I know is it was a long time on a small plane. We made it home Tuesday night around 11 after getting up at 6 am in California - which was really only 9 am here.


I got the kids Wednesday and was very glad to see them!!!!! They both were very happy to see Mommy and Daddy! They both did very good while I was gone. No problems from either of them. Savannah developed a little cold but other than that everything went very well.


Now on to new and wonderful things about the kids:


Savannah is now really starting to try to crawl. She gets up on her hands and knees, will crawl one step and then plop down. She will do this until she gets to whatever it is she wants to get to. Gone are the days of her playing on a blanket and hello to having to vacuum every day!! :-) Of course, her favorite things to go after are Connor's toys. I have been working with him on sharing. And so far if she gets something of his, he'll say he wants it. But I tell him that he wasn't playing with so she can for a few minutes. Then, he'll say, "Yay, Vannah, she got the toy all by herself." So far, so good on the sharing. She is off baby food and loving any real food that I give her. Last night she ate baked chicken, corn & asparagus. She LOVES to watch Connor play and to play with him. One of their favorite things to do is for Connor to push her around in her walker. Once I figure out how to put videos on here, I'll post one!


Connor still doesn't like me to leave him at preschool but he's fine after about a minute of crying. I think there are a few kids that he doesn't know how to deal with. Like the little girl that doesn't "use her words" but her vocal chords by squealing about things. He's not real big on squealing and/or loud noises. Wednesday night and yesterday morning he told me he wanted to go to school but he "didn't yike dose kids." I don't know what that's about but he knew that he didn't like them. I asked him why he didn't like them and he said, "I don't know." He has seems to have made a couple of friends. He always talks about the same 3 kids.


He's turning into a little man! While I was gone he stayed with some friends. Sunday, after church, they had gone out to eat. There was an older couple complimenting her on how well behaved the kids were and they played with Connor and Savannah. As Rachel and the kids were getting ready to leave, Connor walked up to the man and asked him, "What's your name?" The man told him. Rachel told Connor to tell him, "It's nice to meet you." So, Connor stuck out his hand so the man could shake his hand and said, "Nice to meet you." It's amazing what kids pick up without you realizing it.

I guess that's all for now. I know there was more I wanted to say but this is already a long post so I'll save those stories for another day.

No comments: