Saturday, September 27, 2008

Maybe real success has been achieved!!

We have had success again with the potty. I figured out I wasn't making him sit long enough on the potty to do anything. Who knew it could take 15 to 20 minutes for him to get poop out. Thursday morning Connor said his tummy was hurting. I knew he had to go to the bathroom because it had been 4 days. So, I made him sit on the potty until he at least tried to go. 20 minutes later there was a pile big enough to stop up my toilet!! Then today he said a couple of times his tummy hurt and I made him sit and set the timer for 20 minutes. If he hadn't done anything within that time he was allowed to get up. We looked played with cars, wrote in his notebook, looked at 2 new pooping books. Finally this evening he told me he had to go poop. I took him in there and gave him his books and went to finish feeding Savannah. Within 5 minutes I heard, "I did it Mommy! Yeah Connor!" Sure enough it was there. So, maybe we're on a roll!!

He is very smart for his age. I think that but I've had several people, including a psychologist, tell me that. It's the "Odom brain" as I call it. All the Odom's are smart...Danny's sister and brother were both valedictorians of their classes...Danny probably could have been. I'm always telling him to "dumb it down" for me. :-) I know Connor's smart, but last night he blew my mind! He knows he's 2 and knows how to show 2 on his fingers. We are starting to try to teach him that on his next birthday he'll be 3. He can already do 3 (actually all the way through 5) on his hands. He was sitting in Danny's lap and Danny said if you take 2 (showed 2 fingers on 1 hand) and 1 (showed 1 finger on the other hand) how many to do you have? Connor had to count but he got it right. So, Danny started doing different combinations of numbers on each hand. Connor started catching on pretty quick. The next thing I know, Connor said, "3 and 3 makes 6" with no hesitation to count. I don't know if he had already thought about it and had it figured out or what. As soon as he did that Danny and i looked at each other and my thought was, "What the heck?" After that you could tell by the look on his face he was answering wrong on purpose. He's learning about teasing. Friday night the kids and I had gone up to Danny's parents so Connor could go see Grammy and Granddaddy. I was feeding Savannah at the table and Connor came to get a little food. Grammy and Granddaddy came over to sit with us and Granddaddy was teasing Connor about little things. Connor was really sure what to think. After he got done he got down and was standing there. There was a bottle of water on the table. Granddaddy asked if it was his. Connor told him it was. He watched him and as soon as he put it to his mouth to take a drink Connor said, "No, it's mine." and grinned. He was teasing Granddaddy. It was really cute to see him do that.

It's hard to believe that Savannah is 9 months old today. As I've said before she is crawling everywhere. But what's really funny is when she wants to change directions, if it's off to the side she'll crawl, but if she wants to make and 90 or 180 or even and 360 degree turn, she drops to her belly and uses her arms to turn herself. She is actually very fast that way. She has learned how to sit on her knees. It took her a couple of days, but I think she's figured out how to get back to the sitting position. Today while she was in her bed supposed to be going to sleep I checked on her (via my TV - we have a camera in each kids room that goes directly to our TV - very nice in the middle of the night!!) she was sitting on her knees playing with the mirror I have in her bed. A few minutes later I heard her talking so went to look at her again. That time she was sitting on her bottom, but her legs were through the rail and hanging down. It was cute - it looked like she was just hanging out, but she didn't like it too much. I had to go get her unstuck. :-) She is starting to go after Connor now when she is crawling around. Connor hasn't figured out yet that she isn't as fast as he is. Once she can't see him I guess she forgets about him and goes to something else.

We will be heading down to Orlando in a couple of weeks. We go down every year in October for Halloween Horror Nights @ Universal Studios. For the past few years Mom, Dad, Rick, Gabi & the kids have come down too. Rick, Gabi and the kids will be there, but I'm sad to say that Mom and Dad will not be able to make it. With them just moving to Arizona 2 months ago they are not able to go. There goes the built in baby sitter. :-) [just kidding Mom :-)] I'm a little anxious to see how the trip down goes with Connor and the potty. He won't sit on a big potty without his set sitting on top of it, so I guess I'll take that with us and take it in wherever we go. :-) We've made the trip before this year so it won't be new for Savannah and Connor has made it several times already. He's great on trips. The last time, Savannah did great on the way down, but not so great on the way home. She was just 5 months old though. It's usually a 10 hour car ride...we'll see how long it really takes. :-)

No comments: