Monday, September 15, 2008

Success is a great thing!!

Ok - so a week ago today I started the whole potty training thing with Connor. I was really dreading doing the whole process...I've put it off and put it off and put it off for months. He's always done the major "transitions" so easily...was off a bottle @ 11 months, never had a problem with going to a toddler bed or a big boy bed (twin mattress) I just knew that potty training was going to be a headache. I'm glad to report that my fears were not needed. He caught on to doing #1 very quickly. He had accidents last Monday, one at school on Wednesday and a slight one Thursday, but stopped it and finished on the potty. Other than that there have been no accidents....so far. I know, it's only been a week. He is too smart for his own good though! By the 4th day he had figured out to go a little, hold it, get his jelly beans, then have to go again, hold it, get his jelly beans, etc. He did this 3 times in a row. I finally told him he had to have go big or he wouldn't get them. He's not pulled that trick since then. After that incident I have also cut back on the number of jelly beans he gets every couple of days. He's now down to 3 per time and tomorrow it will be 2. Although, I don't think it will be a big deal. I think the excitement of getting jelly beans is starting to grow old. Today, a couple of times he didn't even eat them. Now, #2 is a whole different story. I know that that is usually harder for kids to do. I just didn't realized what I'd have to go through to get him to do it. He's had constipation problems his whole life and has to have Miralax every day. Apparently he can hold it really long time. So, by Friday when he hadn't gone in 5 days, 2 additional actions had to take place. He finally went Friday evening and we flushed it so he could see it go down the toilet - I've heard that some kids are afraid of where it goes so I tried that. We had a couple accidents on Saturday but I really didn't care - he was pooping! Then today, all the sudden he decided to do it. We've had success today all around. He was very proud of himself - not to mention me too! How about that - only a week to get both "things" in the potty. We'll see if it will continue!!

Savannah is crawling everywhere and making me baby proof my house. She is so different from Connor! I never had to baby proof my house with Connor. He never got into anything he wasn't supposed to. If he did I could tell him no and he listened....still does for the most part. Savannah wants whatever she's not supposed to have!! The other day Connor was playing with his cars. I pulled out some of his cars with big plastic wheels that Savannah could play with and gave those to her along with some of her toys. She was good for about 5 minutes until she saw Connor with his hotwheels. She started crawling toward them. As for the things that were in her way, they got shoved away or tossed aside. Anything that I put in front of her thinking it would deter her...did not! I moved her and she started crying. Connor would have just found something else to play with. Right now, her favorite thing to go after are cords that are plugged into outlets. Anything I miss picking up or vacuuming she finds and it goes to her mouth. She loves to crawl over to the couches and look under them to see what she can find. When Connor was her age if a baby or child was crying he would looked concerned. Savannah - she smiles or laughs. :-) She's a lot louder too. I wish you could hear what I hear right now. :-) All those differences and I love them both more than I thought I'd be able too!!! They are both at a fun age right now. I've been so blessed with the two of them - two beautiful, happy, loving kids!!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Yay for potty success! I'm a little concerned I might have similar dynamics around here once Ella starts crawling. I did minimal babyproofing for Ethan with no major problems. It's good for girls to have a little spunk, though, so I think it's worth the headaches!

John Guillott said...

What...no pictures of the poop for Mawmaw?

ValerieO said...

:-) You really wouldn't want to see it - he was backed up for 5 days and it's still coming out. I don't gag at many things but this whole having to dump the poop out in the potty is one of those things that does!