Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Sometimes you learn how smart your kid is in the funniest way

Ok, so since I posted last a few milestones have taken place.....

I had said that Savannah was really trying to crawl and then 3 days later she pretty much started crawling. Granted, it's not very fast. Actually she's pretty slow but it's cute to watch. She's sees something she wants and you can almost see her mind working, trying to figure out she's going to get to it. She no longer crawls one step but actually made it about 5 feet today before plopping down. She has a one track mind too. This morning we were all upstairs in the loft playing. Connor has his cars all over the place up there with a road rug and his little people airport and little people garage. He has quite a few hot wheels but also has some plastic ones which Savannah can play with. I set her up quite a bit away from Connor and gave her 5 of her toys and 5 of Connor's cars that she can play with. She sat for a few minutes and played. She then spotted Connor and started heading toward him. I put her toys and the cars in from of her. The literally either pushed or threw them out of her way to be able to get to Connor and his toys. It was quite funny to watch.

I started potty training with Connor yesterday. I wasn't sure I would have the patience to do it right now with Savannah having a cold and me getting her cold or having allergy stuff going on. But I had decided to start because I knew I would just keep making excuses. I put Connor in his big boy "under-roos" as we call them and we started the day. By lunchtime and 4 "accidents" later I was really starting to question my decision to do it right now. I had called a fri(end of mine, who I call for everything I question, 2 times. The first time was to ask what to do because he started crying before we even started walking to the bathroom and then another time because I wasn't sure how long to make him sit on it if he didn't do anything. (For those of you wondering - it's no longer than 30 minutes.) So, after lunch we put on his "night, night under-roos" (pull-ups) and went down for a nap. He didn't do anything during his nap and went and sat on the potty and went pee pee -YAY!! We cheered and clapped and then he got his 5 jelly beans (he'll get 10 jelly beans when he poops). No more accidents during the day. He also held it all night. This morning when I went in to get him we went straight to the bathroom. He told me on the way, "I almost went pee pee in my bed." He sat down and did his deed. He did it 2 more times this morning. After his nap he did go in his pull up which I think was my fault because I didn't get him soon enough. But he didn't do anything this afternoon or evening - which makes me a little concerned because I know that he knows how to hold it. One time this morning when we were playing in the loft he asked, "I go pee pee in the loft?" I told him, "No, if you need to go pee pee you need to go sit on the potty. Do you need to go?" He shook his head no. I then told him that we would go in there when the timer went off. So, 5 mintues later we went and he went. So, we'll have to see how the "holding thing" goes. He goes to school tomorrow. I asked him tonight if he was going to use the potty at school. He said, "Ummmm, no." So, I'm not so sure how that will go.

Now, to cover the title of this blog: While Connor was sitting on the potty one time yesterday, I brought some toys in thinking if he wouldn't think about what he was supposed to be trying to do. We were pretending to be doctors. He was checking my ears, nose, eyes, & heart first. As he got to the heart he said, "I'll listen right here. Now, take a deep breath." I'm not sure where he got to take a deep breath because they don't ask him to do that at the doctor's office yet. I just thought, Holy cow! I know he's smart, but he keeps on amazing me with things that I never would have thought he knew. His brain is retaining so much information right now. Of course, maybe all kids are like that - I don't know since I've never been around any like I have Connor, obviously. It just blows my mind sometimes.



Those are the latest milestones we've reached. Hopefully things will continue to go somewhat smoothly!

No comments: