Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Growing up

Both of my babies are growing up.


Connor has always been smart and he hasn't slowed down on his learning and understanding. He is very interested in learning how to read, write and tell time. He knows all the sounds of the all the letters. He's learned to say the sounds of the letters in the words for the most part but hasn't figured out how to sound them out fast to hear what the word is. He does have close to 30 "sight" words that he can read. He's very good at tracing letters and is still working on writing them without tracing. He's pretty good at his name. As far as telling time - he drives me crazy with it sometimes - in a good way. He constantly wants to know what time we're leaving or going to bed. I'll tell him whatever time it is we are doing whatever we are doing. He'll then ask what time it is right then. I will tell him. Then comes, "What comes after that?" He will ask that question until I make him stop! He also wants to know what numbers make whatever time it is. I'm hoping he'll learn that in school this fall because I really don't know how to teach him that!


Savannah is at the age where they learn so much so fast. She has so many words - it's amazing to me. She's forming sentences - of course most of those start with "I want...." Last night we were fixing supper. She said, "I eat! I eat!" I told her, "We'll eat in a few minutes. Mommy's fixing supper." She said, "I want suppa." She tries to sing so many songs. She gets every 4 or 5 words right. She even loves singing regular songs. There's a song we sing at church called, "Say So." It's upbeat - she and Connor both love it. The chorus is, "Let the redeemed of the Lord say so. Let the redeemed of the Lord say so. Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, say so, say so." She gets the Say so in every time. She's even learned the beginning. When it comes on she starts saying "Say so. Say so." She's also gotten so big that she's recognizing before she goes to the bathroom. For the last couple of weeks she would say before she would go to the bathroom. I would ask her if she wanted to sit on the potty. She's always said no. Today as I was changing her diaper she said it and I asked her if she wanted to sit on the potty. She said yes so in we went. I sat her on the big potty for a change. I wish I could have captured the look on her face but didn't have a camera - or my phone - close by. She loved it. Within a few minutes she had gone #1. We waited a few more minutes and she went #2. She totally blew my mind. I had not even pushed it. I don't have any panties, so I'll be going out tomorrow to get some. We tried 3 times after her, once right before she went to bed. the first 2 times nothing & had gone a little in her diaper. But right before bed she did go again. Yay! I don't know if this is really going to happen but I'm willing to try it for a little bit to see. If it doesn't, it doesn't'. No worries!

They are also growing up in the way of fighting and bickering . It feels like for the past week and a half all I ever say is "Connor, leave her alone." "Savannah, stop whining/yelling." "Connor, she can play with it the way she wants to." "Savannah, it's Connor's turn. You'll have a turn in a minute." "Lightnin, stop/get back/get out of the trash." Savannah throws fits A LOT and I am trying to just walk away and ignore her. I'm at a bit of a loss. During all this Connor is having some jealousy issues I think. I will get onto Savannah for doing something and right after I get onto her he does whatever it was she did. He's been whining and pouting A LOT. He's starting to not listen as well as used to - which I know is to be expected. But when you've had as close to a perfect kid as you can for almost 3 1/2 years it can kind of throw you for a loop. He's been crying a lot more when he doesn't get what he wants. I feel bad for him because he's so sweet but don't think it's ok for him to cry over everything. So, anybody who has any advice - my ears are wide open!!

No comments: